We’ve got some exciting news!
On Monday, February 5, 2024, Robins Foundation will begin accepting grant applications from nonprofit organizations focused on early childhood care and education (ECCE). This is our first of two ECCE grant cycles in the 2024 calendar year. The second will be announced in July.
As you may remember, this is the second full year that Robins Foundation will be investing more narrowly into early childhood care and education (ECCE), a strategic direction that will allow us to provide more funding and support to organizations helping meet the ECCE needs in our community.
We know the impact investing in early childhood education can have. It has the power to change the trajectory of individual lives and the futures of entire families, as well as deliver significant returns for the community that enhance our region as a vibrant and attractive place to live.
The early education funding provided by the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) expired last September. While Virginia leveraged additional resources through strategic partnerships to continue providing support in 2024, a fiscal cliff is approaching, and Robins is committed to investing more in this critical area.
As federal funding dries up, providers will have trouble hiring and retaining staff, available slots will be reduced, and parents in the workforce will have to pay more or keep their child at home. And while we expect additional ECCE investment in the state budget, major gaps remain.
We believe that philanthropy can play a crucial role in addressing these gaps. With this in mind, we are eager to partner with you during such a critical time and appreciate your commitment to early childhood care and education.
Our grant amounts will begin at $25,000, and we will prioritize programs and initiatives that promote exceptional learning environments, positive adult-child interactions, sustainable workforce development, and advocacy efforts.
The final deadline to submit your application is Friday, March 8, 2024.
Please note the mandatory pre-application conversation with our program officer, Meg Pienkowski, must be completed by Friday, February 9, 2024.
Key Focus Areas
For children to thrive, they need access to early, high-quality care and educational experiences, as well as families that are supported and engaged.
These factors influence children’s brain development, school readiness, and long-term wellbeing, so we fund projects in three focus areas:
- Provider support & infrastructure for early care and education
- Parenting support & engagement
- Early childhood policy & advocacy
Eligible projects and organizations include those that:
- Primarily support children and their families during prenatal stages through age 5
- Serve community members in Richmond City, Chesterfield, Henrico, and/or Petersburg
- Qualify as 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations
Which organizations and projects are not eligible?
Proposals are ineligible for funding if they exclusively focus on:
- Travel to conferences or other events
- Budget shortfalls or cash flow issues
- Capital investments
- Religious-based curriculum and/or admissions practices
If your nonprofit is currently receiving Robins Foundation support through December 2024, we request that you wait until our next grant cycle to apply. Any questions about your eligibility can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We’re eligible! How do I apply?
Please complete these steps in order.
NOTE: If you plan to apply for the same project or initiative Robins Foundation funded in June 2023, you do not need to submit the pre-application questionnaire and can proceed directly to step two below.
1. Submit a short pre-application questionnaire (linked here). Once submitted you will be able to schedule a call with our program officer. Deadline: February 7, 2024
2. Use this link to schedule a 30-minute phone conversation with our program officer. Please schedule early, as slots fill up quickly. January 29 – February 9, 2024
3. Complete a full application in our online grants system (linked here). Complete this step only after your pre-application conversation. Deadline: March 8, 2024
4. Grant decisions and notifications. Early June, 2024
If you have any questions, or if you need to remove a contact from your organizational profile, please reach out to us at email@example.com. We wish you the best of luck with your application.